9.22.2013

First post of 2013

This blog was all but dead, but, tonight, I'm compelled to write here. The year started out well but has gotten progressively worse. It's not my knee but my left foot again. I cannot run. I cannot ride. I cannot even walk to work. All I can do is built shit in my garage.

I've tried everything to heal this injury. Cycle only. Run only. Hike only. Rest. Stretch. Strengthen. Yoga. Drink heavily. Diet. Etc., etc.

A few weeks ago, I caved and visited a chiropractor here in Ashland. He massaged; gapped my sub-talar joint; taped. He had no clue. On Friday, I saw a podiatrist (also in Ashland). He shed (a lot) of light on my injury. It turns out that my foot surgery was flawed. According to Dr. Johnson, whenever utilizing an arthrodesis and/or repairing the spring ligament/posterior tibialis tendon complex (which I had done in 2008), the gastrocnemius muscle must be lengthened (which I did not have done), as a short one is almost always the underlying cause of blowing out the spring ligament and/or posterior tibialis tendon. To make a long story short, Dr. Reach did not address the underlying issue, which is, per the doc, borderline malpractice but perhaps an East Coast/West Coast thing. And I was this close to flying to CT to see Dr. Reach. It turns out that I have an unusually short calf muscle, which prevents full dorsiflexion of the ankle and over-stresses the medial aspect of the foot.

The next step is an MRI with arthrogram to see the degree of injury to my foot. Dr. Johnson suspects I'm back in the same boat with a spring ligament rupture and osteochondral lesion.

No comments: