12.04.2013

Update on things

I completed my 21st Bikram yoga class last night. My strength and flexibility have improved markedly, but I think I might have overstretched my left hamstring/calf. Either that or I'm still feeling last Saturday's massage. I can't seem to find the right stretch in those posterior muscles. Now I can hardly fully extend my left leg without these muscles recoiling. No yoga tonight. We'll see what Thursday brings.

In other news, I received Dr. Reach's read on my MRI yesterday. Again, Dr. Reach was my orthopedist in Connecticut. He performed the spring ligament repair on my left foot in January 2008. According to Dr. Reach, the spring ligament and all other medial soft tissue structures look fine; however, there is some sort of foreign body in my ankle joint. Unfortunately, he could not identify this foreign body. I wish that I could give Dr. Reach and his assistant a big hug right now. They went above and beyond.

After receiving Dr. Reach's read on my MRI yesterday, I called Dr. Johnson here in Ashland. In light of Dr. Reach's findings, he promised to take another look at my MRI. I had to prod him again this morning to take another look. He finally did and, sure enough, found the same thing. His take on it was that it's not in the ankle joint itself but in the joint capsule near the ankle arthroscopy scar from 2008. And that it's not a foreign body or bone but perhaps scar tissue or something from the arthrogram. He promised to call the radiologist about it today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, the doc in Ashland makes it sound like looking for water on mars, whereas your old doc sounds pretty sure of the shrapnel theory. Could it be the foreign body is an alien embryo waiting for just the right moment to emerge? Try putting some plantain power on your foot, it might draw out the hungry little beasty.

Ryan said...

Haha. I see it the other way around, actually. The old doc had no clue, really. He guessed a metal artifact or "mass." The latter suggestion scared me, obviously. The new doc followed-up with the radiologist who did the initial read on the MRI, and it turned out that it is, indeed, a metal artifact--a very small one, in fact, that the old doc left in there some years ago. The whole thing is a big joke. The bottom line is that it's not any cause for concern, nor does it shed any light on the cranky hoof.